This definition comes from the Unitarian Universalist Musician's Network.
Cultural misappropriation is the term given to the set of injuries marked by:
- Using music, reading, symbols, ritual, or iconography of a group without a willingness to engage in their struggle and/or story
- The use of cultural practices as bait rather than an as organic part of our cultural experience
- An unwillingness to respect the community of origin or dishonoring the refusal of a community to share
- Disrespect or casual engagement with a practice
- Unwillingness to share the pain caused by intentional or unintentional misuse.
UUA Task Force on Cultural Misappropriation September 2006
For more information: http://www25.uua.org/uumn/resources/other_info/cultmisrep/fall06report.pdf
Tuesday, 23 February 2010 15:56
Written by Jess Cullinan